Thursday, February 24, 2011

taste: Whole Foods Garlicky Kale

My Year of Salad resolution for this week was to eat more raw non-lettuce greens, which has finally gotten me motivated to try and recreate my favorite Whole Foods Salad Bar food of all time, Garlicky Kate.

First I started with the ingredient list off the salad bar:
Kale, Garlic, Tahini, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Liquid Aminos, Nutritional Yeast, Apple Cider Vinegar, Lemon Juice, Water.

Then I played around a little bit with proportions, until I got to this:
1 bunch Kale
3 cloves of garlic, pressed (or chopped really small)
4 T Tahini
2 T EVOO
1 T Bragg's Liquid Aminos
1 T Nutritional Yeast
1 T Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Lemon (juiced)
Water (to adjust for consistency)

Last summer, my friend's partner let me in on little secret to eating raw kale: you have to massage the kale. No, seriously. So, after mixing together all the other ingredients, and having T wash and de-stem the delicious locally grown kale, I pushed up my sleeves and set to work massaging some leafy greens.

Then I massaged in the dressing:


Then I (washed my hands) and enjoyed the best garlicky kale to be had in Kitty Hawk, NC.


Note: we really like garlic and lemon and tahini and kale and, well, all of these ingredients. If you have plans for a hot date later on, you could decrease the garlic a little bit. This stuff isn't called Garlicky Kale for nothing.

5 comments:

Katie Thomas said...

I just made this! Yummy!

c.a.l.m. said...

Thanks for this! I recently tried the same thing at Whole Foods and then - like you - wrote down all the ingredients intending to recreate it. Thanks so much for doing all the work of figuring it out!

Anonymous said...

Yay! I am so addicted to this dish at Whole Foods....and now I can make it for myself!! Thanks for sharing.

Carey said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you. This is perfect.

Unknown said...

love love love this dish at WF and your dupe is spot on. thanks